Thursday, March 27, 2014

Fun game!


Over on the Modern Poetry in Translation website, they have a neat feature called Translate! where they provide an original poem along with a "literal" translation of it into English. They invite readers to work up and submit their own versions and state: "One poem can be translated in many different ways—close translations, 'freer' versions, after-images and metamorphoses of all kinds."


The original poem, with my version below:


XLIV

Acordo de noite subitamente,
E o meu relógio ocupa a noite toda.
Não sinto a Natureza lá fora.
O meu quarto é uma coisa escura com paredes vagamente brancas.
Lá fora há um sossego como se nada existisse.
Só o relógio prossegue o seu ruído.
E esta pequena coisa de engrenagens que está em cima da minha mesa
Abafa toda a existência da terra e do céu…
Quase que me perco a pensar o que isto significa,
Mas estaco, e sinto-me sorrir na noite com os cantos da boca,
Porque a única coisa que o meu relógio simboliza ou significa
Enchendo com a sua pequenez a noite enorme
É a curiosa sensação de encher a noite enorme
Com a sua pequenez…



NOCTURN

I start. Bolt
awake.
My clock
looms in the night.
I have no sense of Nature beyond.
My room is darkness
bound by a rumour
of walls.
Beyond
a muzzling calm
belies
the world of things.
Yet the clock tics,
insists on existing. 
This little box of gears
on my nightstand
subsumes
the earth and sky.
I slip into thinking
about what this means.
But then
I stop.
A smile
finds my face.
Because in filling
the vast night
with its smallness,
my clock
only
speaks
to the curious notion
of a vast night
dwarfed by smallness.

No comments:

Post a Comment