Monday, June 9, 2014

Mary Szybist: Yet Not Consumed

As ever my hope is that my translations out of English are, in the words of Erín Moure, "defective but effective."


Yet Not Consumed (Mary Szybist, from Incarnadine)

But give me the frost of your name
in my mouth, give me
spiny fruits and scaly husks—
give me breath

to say aloud to the breathless clouds
your name, to say
I am, let me need
to say it and still need you
to give me need, to make me
into what is needed, what you need, no

more than that I am, no more
than the stray wind on my neck, the salt
of your palm on my tongue, no more

than need, a neck that will bend
lower to what I am, so
give me creeping, give me clouds that hang
low and sweep the blue of the sky
to its edges, let me taste the edges, the bread-colored clouds,
here I am, give me

thumb and fingers, give me only
what I need, a turn here
to turn what I am
into I am, what your name writ in clouds
writ on me

--

Mais non se consumía

Mais dáme o carouxo do teu nome
na miña boca, dáme
frutas espiñentas e carapela escamosa
dáme alento

pra dicirlles ás desalentadas nubes
o teu nome, pra dicir
eu son, deixa que me faga falta dicilo
e que me siga facendo falta que ti
me deas a túa necesidade, que fagas de min
o que sexa preciso, o que precises, nada

máis que o feito de que son, nada máis
que o vento peregrino na miña caluga, o sal
da túa palma sobre a miña lingua, nada máis

que a necesidade, unha cabeza que baixe
até o que son, dáme entón
un lento escorregar, dáme nubes impoñentes
que varran o azul do ceo
até os límites, déixame probar os límites, as nubes cor de pan
velaquí me tes, dáme

dedos e polgar, dáme tan só
o que preciso, una volta aquí
pra voltar o que son
en eu son, o que o teu nome escribiu
escribiu sobre min



No comments:

Post a Comment